One moment your baby is sleeping peacefully in your arms, and before you know it, they need a bed of their own.
This transition from crib to their first bed can lead to a great many insecurities. What bed should you get? What kind of mattress should you be looking at?
So, what are your choices? Firstly, you have to decide between a bed specifically made for a toddler (this is little more than support that will accommodate a mattress around the crib mattress size) and a proper twin-size bed frame with an accompanying mattress.
A Selection of The 9 Best Twin Mattresses for Toddler
Look, we’re all trying to do the best we can and provide our toddlers with the best there is. But it’s not always easy. There’s the whole budget thing, and then there’s also knowing what’s best. With all the products on the market, that in itself can be a daunting task.
When it comes to mattresses, there are many factors to consider, regardless of your budget. They have to get a mattress that provides ample support. Good support aids sleep, and sleep is a vital component for healthy growth. So, it’s essential.
And, avoid all the sales talk if you can. Right now, you’re looking at mattresses, but you know the drill already; wherever you go to get whatever you need for your toddler, the world is full of salespeople that think they know what’s best for your little one.
I’ve been through the transition between crib and bed myself, and I know the deep inner turmoil that was created within me as a parent. I had to remind myself all the time: I know my kid, and I know them well. If ANYONE is in a position to decide what’s best for him, it’s me.
So, turn the volume down on the external noise. That’s my first (and probably most valuable) piece of advice.
All things baby have gone through a technological revolution in the past 15 years. Sure, it’s because the market realized there’s oodles of green to be made from us loving parents. But it’s also stood us in good stead.
The products on the market are better than they were a decade ago. Thus, we can do better for our toddlers, and in turn, they can do better in the world.
Mattress technologies are no different. The latest and most advanced technology focuses on foam beds with cutting-edge gel support. (Just saying it makes me want to get one for myself!)
Our toddlers, just like us, have different body shapes. And these body shapes (just like ours) keep on changing. Memory mattresses are great for that because they adjust to the contours of the body. I don’t need to extrapolate on the numerous sleep benefits of a mattress that fits you instead of trying to contort your shape into an unforgiving bed. The same applies to your toddler.
I’ve had a look at several mattress products on the market and compared them to my toddler’s needs and sleeping habits. I’m not saying I know best, but I know all of us are always looking for some solid pointers from like-minded parents. So, I will give you a little peek at what I consider the best 9 twin mattresses for toddlers I could find.
#1 – Linenspa 8 Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Twin Mattress
Linenspa is an excellent brand. So, there’s that. The mattress I looked at and tested has a medium rating for firmness.
This is a memory-foam hybrid product. The foam layer is quilted memory foam – about 1.5 inches thick. Beneath that is a 6.5-inch base layer, also foam, and the base is steel springs.
In total, this mattress is 8-inches thick. And, you can have any color as long as it is white.
This particular mattress flies out off the proverbial shelves – in fact, it is often simply called the “Linenspa Mattress” in the trade and marketplace. Always a sign that a product has a reputation that made it a benchmark.
The price range for this mattress is roughly in the mid-level, and as far as the thickness chart is concerned, it’s in the medium range. It has a coil core, the cover is quilt and memory foam, and the comfort layer is polyfoam.
If a proper affordability/comfort equation is what you’re after, this is probably the mattress for your toddler.
- Perfect for children’s rooms, an affordable option for yourself, or great for a guest bedroom. The lumbar support is innerspring. Hypoallergenic foam with body memory.
- Provides perfect spine alignment with minimized pressure points. Great comfort.
- Comes as a bed-in-a-box. It makes delivery and convenience easy. The finish is a cozy cover (knit)
- Two product options – 8-inch and 12-inch. Has gel infusions and individual coil casings.
- 10-year warranty (like any good mattress should have)
- This bed eases transitions – helps to make that painful journey from a crib to bed effortless
- The price/quality ratio is EXCELLENT
- The price is higher than comparable products from the competition
- It makes for a hot sleep – probably due to the design of the top pillow
- Heavier bodyweights – this mattress could prove too soft
#2 – The Modway Aveline – a 6-inch Mattress (Twin) With Gel Infusion
Again, from Modway, this time the Aveline. This is a twin with foam conforming to US certification standards. Gel infusion and memory foam make it a real contender on this list. It’s a medium-firm, foam mattress, 6-inches thick.
- This is undoubtedly the top-rated twin mattress in the lower price range. Memory foam gives the Aveline great comfort levels
- The memory foam is open-cell technology that provides natural firmness and supports the neck, spine, and head
- The memory foam is gel-infused. It ventilates well and reduces perspiration in warm, hot, or humid climes
The warranty is ten years
- Stability and comfort are perfectly balanced
- Motion transfer is limited to the bare minimum, ensuring restful and undisturbed sleep
- It was noticeable how quickly the “new” chemical smell dispersed
- Great value/price equation
- It’s not going to last nearly as long as other products – maybe five years if used every day
- Bed-edge support isn’t great
- That chemical smell that we mentioned, the one that disperses quickly – well, it’s NOT PLEASANT!
#3 – From Modway – The Jenna 10-Inch, An Innerspring Twin-Mattress
This is a firm mattress with an innerspring design. Again, like with the Linenspa, you can have any color as long as it’s white.
The coils are individually encased. Bounce is minimal, and the mattress is excellent at neutralizing motion to prevent those disturbances that cause toddlers to fret.
Support is excellent in just about every sleeping position – the designers were particularly attentive to this. So, whether your toddler dozes off on their back, tummy, or side, they’ll be comfortable.
It’s a snug and warm mattress – ideal for colder climates and great for winter.
The quality of the mattress is good. High-quality materials are used throughout. The health and safety of your toddler were well-considered during the design process, so you’ll end up with a mattress that conforms to your standards.
The bed-frames are easy to adjust, and the Jenna Modway is highly affordable.
It’s shipped in a box (compressed and sealed) – so it’s easy to move and set up.
- Modway uses its own ‘Sleep Soundly’ technology, which reduces pressure on the neck, back, shoulders, and hips.
- The inner springs are firm and have a barrier of polyester that provides fire protection – it satisfies all standards of flammability everywhere
- Coils are individually wrapped, the foam padding and the padded polyester with its quilted top have a level, uniform feel.
- It is easy to set up
- All manufacturing defects are guaranteed for ten years
- Setup is a dream – quick, easy and fuss-free
- Longevity and affordability – these are real strengths that should influence your decision
- Customers sometimes complain that the firmness of the mattress leaves something to be desired
#4 – LUCID 6-inch – A Soft-Feel, Gel-Infused Memory Foam Twin
This 5-inch mattress is an excellent solution for thin bedframes.
Okay, I know what you’re thinking. How can five inches possibly be supportive enough? Well, let me tell you, it can! It’s both supportive and firm enough to provide your little one with a wonderful journey through dreamland.
Those 5 inches are made up of 1 inch of super cool memory foam, infused with gel, and 4-inches of foam for support. Spinal support is especially great, as is the pressure relief.
The memory foam will take the shape of your toddler’s body despite the thinness. The technology here is excellent.
The mattress weighs only 18 pounds – moving it around is easy and painless. So, whether your toddler spends one night in his or her room and one night in yours, the mattress can make this journey with relative ease.
The gel in the mattress isn’t only there for comfort. It helps to disperse body heat, making sure your toddler doesn’t overheat.
The foam technology is open-cell. This is durable. REALLY durable. This mattress is perfect if your toddler is a restless sleeper. The tossing and turning won’t deter from this twin’s longevity.
- The mattress is highly adaptive – ideal for toddlers who sleep busily
- The gel-infused foam layers provide temperature control, and it’s really effective
- The top layer is ventilated, so the sleeping experience is substantially cooler than that provided with traditional or conventional memory foam. Body temperature is well regulated
- It has 5-inch support of foam, REALLY dense, that ensures proper stability and support for the whole body, regardless of weight
- The memory foam is certified CertiPUR U.S. This certification is hard to come by and is a stamp of approval for both comfort and safety
- The design is Ultra-Slim
- Heat dispersion is GREAT. Cool sleep means good sleep
- There are multiple layers of foam, so the support is good
- The mattress is lightweight
- The material is ULTRA low density
- There have been reports of problems with expanding the product after it’s been opened
#5 – From Tuft and Needle – the Nod, an 8-inch, Adaptive Foam Twin
Firstly, this is a feature-rich product. And it’s popular among parents shopping for the best twin mattress for their little one.
If your kid is a bed-jumper (notice my tongue in my cheek – mine is), this mattress may be ideal for you. The adaptive quality foam in the Tuft & Needle Nod is excellent, and it lasts.
This mattress provides a cool night’s rest – especially in humid and hot climates.
The adaptive foam is great for all sleeping positions – it will comfortably conform to your toddler’s body shape.
And, believe it or not, this product has a 100-night trial. This gives you plenty of time to decide if this is the twin for your toddler.
- This mattress is balanced. It’s firm enough yet soft enough. That’s a rare find.
- The price is great for what you get.
- Tuft & Needle is an excellent brand with a reputation to match
- Tuft & Needle products are 3rd parties tested – always – and they carry the US CertiPUR certification
- There is a 10-year warranty
- It takes only 72 hours for the mattress to expand fully
- There’s that marvelous trial period – 100 nights to decide if it’s the mattress for your toddler
- It carries a warranty of 10 years
- It’s made in the good old US of A
- Shipping and returns are free
- This mattress will require a cover if your toddler isn’t potty-trained yet
- Consumers have complained that this twin is too firm
#6 – From Olee Sleep – a Twin With Multiple Layers Of Memory Foam, And It’s Ventilated
Comfortable and luxurious – those are the keywords with this twin.
This foam mattress from Olee Sleep is made with gel-infused memory foam. Body contouring is light on pressure points and will make sure your toddler is relaxed during sleep.
Heat dispersion is also excellent – there’s no heat build-up.
There’re no harmful chemicals in this twin, and it’s certified by Oeko-Tex.
It’s well priced and affordable – so there’s real value for money locked up in this mattress.
With cutting-edge heat dispersion, it’s the perfect twin mattress for all climates and temperatures.
- It has a 10-year warranty for manufacture quality
- The cover is a lovely jacquard quality. It’s dirt-resistant and classy.
- The base is premium foam. Great for support.
- They use Sleep Sound technology that conforms to body contours.
- The memory foam is high density – this is great for a solid sleeping experience
- Excellent value for money
- The chemical smell goes away quickly
- Motion transfer is limited, ensuring a good night’s rest
- The balance between comfort and support is out of this world
- Even though it disperses quickly, the chemical odor when opening isn’t great
- The bed-edge support leaves much to be desired
- Not one of the longer-lasting twin mattresses on the market
#7 – LINENSPA 5 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Linenspa is one of the more prominent names in the game, known for superior support. This mattress is no exception. The memory foam is gel-infused and provides excellent support and relief on pressure points.
The high-density base is 4 inches thick, making for ideal back, neck, spinal, and head support.
There’s a 10-year warranty on all Linenspa products, and this warranty covers all manufacturing defects.
- The gel-infusion in the foam layers is excellent for heat dispersion
- ActiveRelief® memory foam conforms to your toddler’s shape for great sleep
- This mattress is 5 inches thick, making it ideal for bunk or trundle beds
- The comfort foam is SupportRight ® designed – this technology was developed for both support and comfort
- A 10-year warranty covers all manufacturing defects
- The transport container makes it quick and easy to transport and unpack
- The mattress is rated FIRM – and is compatible with all sleeping habits
- It contains around 20% Viscoelastic Polyurethane gel foam, around 80% Polyurethane foam in the inner material, and 40% Viscose and 60% Polyester in the outer material
- The warranty is ten years
- It has a wonderfully soft outer cover
- The twin mattress is completely washable and ultra-breathable
- If cared for, this mattress will last a long time
- There have been reports of sagging in the center after a while
- The foam isn’t easy to expand after unpacking
- Many parents consider this mattress too firm for toddlers
#8 – Olee Sleep 10 inch Aquarius Memory Foam Mattress
This has a 10-inch gel-infused top layer. It’s superbly designed and provides oodles of comfort and support.
It is a top-of-the-range mattress with a guaranteed sleep experience.
This twin has various layers and stands out in the gel-infused category.
Olee Sleep’s mission statement includes providing products that provide the best sleep based on the soundest technology. This mattress fulfills that promise.
- Fully expanded and odor-free in 72 hours
- A 10-year warranty covers all manufacturer defects
- The delivery is seamless, and the tolled packaging makes it super easy to handle
- It has a gel-infused foam layer that is brilliant for heat dispersion
- The high-density foam guarantees the memory foam’s integrity, even after a while
- Whole-body support is excellent
- The top layer has been designed to bear your toddler’s weight and shape throughout the night in body-conforming comfort
- This mattress is REALLY affordable
- The manufacturer’s guarantee will cover you for ten years
- This mattress is great for temperature regulation throughout the night
- The gel-infusion protects the integrity of the memory foam
- This mattress has been designed for excellent weight distribution throughout the night
- It’s mid-priced – perhaps not accurate if compared to the competition’s features
#9 – Zinus Memory – A 5-Inch Memory Foam Twin For Bunks
Here’s another good one to put on your list of mattresses for your toddler. It’s from Zinus, and it has a cover that can be easily removed and is fully washable. Comfort and ease are top concerns for this manufacturer.
The memory foam will ensure comfort for your toddler. Bio-Foam, a compound that features in Zinus products, is created from organic material. It keeps the mattress looking good and odor-free, even under the hands and feet of a terrible toddler (like mine!)
The warranty on Zinus products is extended to 10-years, so you’re well covered.
And again, this Bio-Foam is really a great invention!
- The mattress expands to full size within 72 hours. Manufacturing odors disappear in less.
- The warranty is 10-years, but it’s limited.
- Your color options include blue and pink – that’s for the terry cover
- The Bio-Foam is MUCH better than petroleum foams used in competitor’s products – the freshness simply can’t be beaten
- CertPUR US certification guarantees performance, comfort, and durability
- The layered mattress has a high density, 3-inch base of support foam – airflow technology guarantees freshness, a 1-inch comfort foam that alleviates pressure points when sleeping, and a 1-inch gel-infused memory foam
- The memory foam conforms to your toddler’s body shape when sleeping
- Made in the USA
- Shipping and returns are free
- It has a 10-year warranty
- Consumers complain about the firmness of the product
- If your toddler isn’t potty trained yet, this mattress will require a top pad
For me, all things considered, the Linenspa 8 is the one.
The value is high-end, and the price holds its own with the competition. The head, neck, hip, and spine support are excellent – a step above the competition.
Many of the other mattresses we looked at in this review are good, make no mistake, but the Linenspa 8 is head and shoulders above the rest. It’s a good night’s rest with a value-for-money price-tag!
To end with …
Shopping for items such as these can be overwhelming and confusing. Too many things to consider. Too much sales-talk.
But a decent twin mattress when your child makes the transition from crib to bed is essential. It will save you pain and tears.
I know, I’ve been through it twice, and I’m going through it a third time as I write this. Keep your budget in mind, sure, but remember: if your toddler sleeps well, your toddler will be well-adjusted and better equipped to handle the little-people pressures their high-impact, fast-learning lives place on them.
Happy shopping, and good luck!