Teaching your kids young is essential; however, who says it is easy? One of the important things you should give your children is science education. As they grow, they begin to observe and notice a lot of things about the world. This experience can be both fascinating and puzzling at the same time.
Exposing them to science early gives them a tool to understand how things work. A science kit increases their vocabulary and it helps your child communicate better. There are several science kits for kids that bring the world of science closer to your kids. Which of these kits should you get for your kids? Why should you get these science kits for your kids? What are the things you should consider before purchasing these kits? Read on to find answers to all the questions you may have.
7 Best Science Kits for Kids
Science kits for kids allow them to be exposed to the basic knowledge of science. Kids find using these science kits fun, entertaining, and educating. It improves their knowledge and guides them to understand scientific concepts easily.
These science kits are not only helpful to the kids; they can be quite useful for you as a parent also. They teach you the dynamics of explaining technical and complex ideas to your kids, in a non-complex way. They expose you to how their minds work and how you can grasp their attention.
Overall, the knowledge your kids gain from using these science kits will not only be useful to them at their young ages, but even when they are grown, and maybe when they have kids of their own.
Here are the 7 best science kits that you can purchase for your kids. I will also mention the features of these kits, their good sides and bad sides.
Thames and Kosmos Kids First Stepping into Science Toy
The first science kit for kids that I will be discussing with you is the Thames and Kosmos Kids First Stepping into Science Toy. As the name implies, it is an introductory science tool that is suitable for your kids under the age of seven.
The science toy comes with twenty-five different and enjoyable science experiments for your kids. The experiments are based on these areas: chemistry, physics, nature, water, and air. These experiments serve as fun ways for them to learn the answers to many science-based questions they ask daily.
In the area of nature, Thames and Kosmos Kids First Stepping into Science Toy explains some fundamental concepts to them. Kids are naturally inquisitive, they ask questions like these: “why does a plant change color?”, “how does a plant eat?”, “how does a plant drink water?”. The toy provides answers to these questions and even shows them fun ways to prove that the answers are correct. This encourages them to ask more questions and be interested in the answers to those questions.
The toy contains small parts that may be easily swallowed by kids, so it is not advisable for children under the ages of three.
- It has twenty-five fun experiments for your kids.
- The experiments are based on chemistry, physics, nature, water, and air.
- It gives the kids a step-by-step introduction to scientific concepts and methods.
- It is not heavy as it weighs 1.32 pounds
- It suits kids from the ages of 5-10.
- The toy encourages the kids to learn in a fun way
- It is easy to use
- It is not gender-discriminatory.
- Children under the age of three are at risk of swallowing some parts of these toys, and end up choking on them.
- It can be easily scattered into bits and pieces by the kids, making it difficult to keep and arrange.
- Most times, it requires adult supervision.
- The instructions are sometimes difficult to follow.
Learning Resources Mathlink Cubes
This toy set exposes your kids to mathematics. Mathematics is useful even in the adult world and it is great if you let your kids get the hang of it while they are still young. This mathematics kit helps them solve mathematical problems such as counting, grouping, addition, subtractions, and many more. It is suitable for kids above the age of five.
This mathematical resource is an excellent choice if you are thinking of homeschooling your children. It also assists you in providing after school lessons to your kids. It makes them further interested in mathematics when they get to school.
It comes with cubes that can be stacked together to create different shapes, which kids find interesting and entertaining. The toy also comes in different colors which makes it more attractive to the kids.
- It teaches them various mathematical problems, including basic additions and subtractions.
- It aids them to count.
- The cubes in the toy come in different shapes.
- The cubes in the toy come in various colors.
- It improves the mathematical skills of kids.
- It encourages them to love mathematics from an early stage.
- By joining and separating the cubes, it teaches your kids about addition and subtraction.
- It helps them to count more correctly.
- It aids their imaginations as kids can create new shapes and objects from the cubes.
- The cubes have different shapes, further exposing them to shapes like triangle, hexagon, and others.
- To make it more attractive to the kids, it comes in different colors such as red, blue, orange, brown, pink, white, black, blue, and even more.
- It is not suitable for children under the age of three.
- The cubes can litter the house, giving you additional cleaning work.
Scientific Explorer My First Mind Blowing Science Kids Science Experiment Kit
This is another science kit that is suitable for your child between the ages of six and eight. This scientific explorer kit is a basic introduction to science, it gives them foundational knowledge on basic scientific concepts.
The scientific explorer kit requires adult supervision, as it comes with some chemicals and supplies, like corn starch, vegetable oil, plastic cups, measuring tools, and many more.
This kit is fun-filled as the kids get to create various things and even develop their imaginations. It is an entertaining way to pass on scientific knowledge to kids under the age of eight.
Some of the activities developed by the kit include creating a volcano, acid or base, mixing colors, and many more. This scientific explorer kit is a tool that will come in handy when creating a science laboratory for your kids at home.
- It comes with supplies that aid your kids in performing these scientific experiments. Some of them are vegetable oil, corn starch, and plastic cups.
- It requires adult supervision for proper usage.
- It comes with an activity guide that guides you in creating some of these experiments with your kids.
- It is simple to use. You do not have to be a genius to use it.
- It exposes the kids to many scientific facts and concepts.
- It provides knowledge to both kids and adults.
- It develops critical thinking skills in the kids.
- It also forms a positive attitude to explorations in your kids.
- It replicates the idea of being in a science laboratory for your kids.
- It does not require any scientific expertise to use.
- It is both educational and entertaining.
- It is not suitable for kids under the age of six.
- It should be used with adult supervision.
- It contains small balls, marbles, and other things that can be easily swallowed by kids.
Little Tikes STEM Jr. Wonder Lab Toy with Experiments for kids
This wonder lab toy is another science kit that your kid will find interesting. It is specially designed for pre-schoolers, with a special focus on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
The experiments are performed using several household items that can be easily found. It comes with light and different sounds but it has to be connected to a power socket for this function to work well.
It also comes with some scientific laboratory materials like test tubes, a stirring stick, laboratory goggles, and many others. To save you from the stress of cleaning up after your kid’s experiment, the wonder lab toy comes with a removable laboratory tray.
- The wonder lab toy is designed to arouse the interests of your kids in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- It can be used to perform experiments with your kids, from the comfort of your house.
- It has light and sound that further attracts the kids to this science kit.
- It comes with some scientific laboratory materials that help you to create wonderful experiments with your kids. Some of these materials include test tubes, stirring stick, laboratory goggles, and others.
- It also comes with a removable laboratory tray that makes it easy to clean up after use.
- It has to be connected to power for its light and sound functions to work properly.
- The toy comes with a removable laboratory tray that encourages easy cleaning.
- It grabs the attention of the kids, especially through the various lights and sounds that come with it.
- It encourages the interests of your kids in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- It is suitable for kids even before the age of five.
- Its light and sound functions have to be connected to power.
- It requires some level of adult supervision.
- Some of the experiments require the use of household items.
Uglinga’s Kids Science Experiment Kit
This science experiment kit comes with a laboratory coat, which encourages them to learn while role-playing or playing dress-up. It is suitable for kids up from the age of five upwards. The laboratory coat comes with a customizable tag that you can print your kid’s name on.
- This science experiment kit comes with a laboratory coat for your kids.
- It is suitable for kids from the age of three and up.
- It comes with a step-by-step guide to performing some of these experiments.
- It comes with a name badge, a measuring cup, laboratory goggles, magnifier, activity cards, measuring cups, measuring spoons, and others.
- The laboratory coat is easily washable
- The coat can also be customized.
- It improves your kids’ problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- It sharpens the imagination of your kids as they can visibly see themselves in the image of their favorite scientists, just by using this science kit.
- It fuels the interest and curiosity of any young scientist.
- The coat may not fit, as it may need some adjustments for your kids.
- It requires some level of adult supervision.
Learn & Climb Science Kit for Kids
This science kit keeps your kid interested in the world of science. It provides twenty-one different experiments for your kids to perform. The kit also comes with almost everything you need for a successful experiment, including some household items.
The science kit also comes with a manual and links to the online videos of each of these experiments. The learn and climb science kit for kids allows your kids to learn about the world of science, in a fun and entertaining way.
- It has a 30-day return policy that further reassures other parents of its safety.
- It provides a manual and a link to online videos that can help both you and your kid use the toy effectively.
- It comes with a measuring spoon, a funnel, a stirring stick, a test tube connector, baking powder, citric acid, foaming agent, and others.
- It introduces science to the kids in a fun and interactive way.
- It is educating.
- It is safe to use as it comes with plastic materials and nothing that can injure your kid.
- The experiments are age-appropriate and suited for your kids
- It requires some level of adult supervision.
- For a successful experiment, it still requires some things like salt, sugar, pencil, soap, and others.
Buyer’s Guide Selection
Before choosing which science kit to buy, there are certain things you should consider. Price, the interests of your kids, and other factors will influence your decisions.
The interests of your kids
If your kids have shown more interest in building things, you should consider getting science toy kits that are physics-based. On the other hand, if your kids seem like they are more interested in natural science, how things grow, and other related phenomena, consider getting a science kit toy that focuses on biology.
The aim should be to develop their interests and feeding their curiosity in a fun and educative way.
When deciding on which scientific toy to buy for your kids, the durability of the toy is another top factor you should consider. If it is something that your kids love and enjoy using, they definitely will want to use them now and then. You need a toy that is strong and durable, a toy that can stand against all the throws and hits from your kids.
Level of Adult Supervision
Another essential thing you, as a parent should think about when purchasing a science kit for your kids is how much time it requires you to put into it. If you will not be available to use this kit or perform some of the experiments with them, then you should not get a science kit that contains harmful materials for your kids.
In terms of usage, a scientific kit toy that you will be getting for your kid should be easy to use, by both you and your kid. You do not have to be a scientist to use a toy meant for less than a ten-year-old child, the toy should contain a step-by-step guide to assist you while using it.
The age of your kid will guide you when deciding on which scientific toy kit to buy. Kids up to the age of six do not need toys that task them so much. They need science toys that will be more entertaining than educating. They need something to spend their time on. However, for kids from the age of six upwards, you may purchase science-based toys that are more educating than entertaining. At this stage, they have already been introduced to science in school, and these toys will serve as aids in helping them understand many scientific concepts better.
Science equips us with the knowledge that comes in handy at one point or the other. Thus, introducing your kids to science is a good idea.
Kids can be quite a handful sometimes, and getting them to place their focus on something may be difficult. However, if you are looking for something to keep your child busy and entertained, you should get them a science kit. The kits featured in this article are easy to use. They come with user manuals that guide you while using them.
Buying your kids a science kit is a fun and educating way to introduce them to the world of science. It is an investment that will surely payout in the future.