There is a myriad of diaper bag designs available on the market at any given moment. They come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and fashions and have just about every functionality the human mind is capable of conceiving. Most of them are slung over the shoulder, like a regular kit bag. But, as any mother will tell you, this is awkward and ungainly.
In addition, in many cases, these shoulder-slung bags cause neck, back, and shoulder issues. Especially if those parts of your body already wrestle with the weight of your baby at all times of the day and night.
When we carry a burden – a big weight or something that isn’t comfortable to carry – our postures subconsciously adjust to make the load more comfortable. However, our bodies often shift into unnatural positions simply to get temporary relief from the discomfort.
Tension in your tendons, joints, and muscles is often the unfortunate and inevitable result. And who needs that on top of the responsibility of a little one, right?! Besides, it just steals the fun.
Enter the diaper backpack – something that finally frees your hands for the important multi-tasking any mother is capable of! And at the same time spreads the load you carry in a more balanced way.
Your neck and shoulders are spared unnatural twists, and your back carries the load in the balanced way it’s built to.
There are a couple of things to consider when you’re in the market for a proper and well-designed diaper backpack. We did the research for you and compiled a list of the best backpacks available.
- Bag Nation Diaper Backpack
- Obersee Bern Diaper Backpack & Cooler
- JuJuBe Be Right Back Backpack
- Bamomby Multi-Function Waterproof Diaper Backpack
- Skip Hop Diaper Bag Backpack
- Ruvalino Waterproof Diaper Backpack
- Ecosusi Fully-Opened Diaper Backpack
- HaloVa Multi-Function Diaper Backpack
- KiddyCare Diaper Bag Backpack
- HapTim Travel Diaper Bag Backpack
Have a careful read through the specs and descriptions of these diaper bag backpacks. Your ideal fit is bound to be in the mix somewhere!
#1 Bag Nation Diaper Backpack
If you have a bay accessory, this bag has a place for it. There are fourteen pockets around this bag, in varying sizes.
Dirty diapers? No problem, this backpack has a place for it. So too for binkies, soiled clothes, and bottles, but these will be stored far from the diapers, as they should be!
This backpack also has a sundry bag. There is a special compartment – insulated – to keep your bottles at temperature. And it also sports a changing pad.
The exterior is completely water-resistant, and the straps are padded to make your shoulders as comfortable as they can possibly be.
This really is a do-it-all and a go-anywhere bag!
- The bag is for men and women
- The stroller straps are adjustable
- It’s great for both toddlers and kids that are a little older
- It has as many pockets as you can hope to use in a lifetime!
- The price – it’s a little steeper than other brands
#2 HapTim Travel Diaper Bag Backpack
A diaper wipe dispenser in one pocket, and sixteen others to store in what you want! This bag has a lot to offer!
The shoulder straps are padded – and they’re really comfortable on long hauls. And your contents will stay dry beneath the waterproof outside of this backpack.
This diaper backpack also includes a changing mat. And it’s hard to think what you’d do without it once you have it in your arsenal. And, of course, there’s a pocket with ample insulation to make sure your bottles stay fresh.
- This product redefines style for diaper bag backpacks
- The exterior is made of extremely rugged and durable material
- Seventeen pockets. SEVENTEEN!
- It’s a little like the Model-T Ford – it only comes in one color
- The bottle compartment is excellent, but it’s not easy to access in a hurry
#3 HaloVa Multi-Function Diaper Backpack
It’s easy to confuse this diaper bag with a fashionable handbag! In essence, the HaloVa gives you both. There’s the designer feel, and there’s oodles of functionality.
You access the lower half of the main compartment with a zipper. This is a great design addition because it allows you to access all the stuff at the bottom of the bag without having to dig through from the top.
The whole backpack is completely waterproof, and it’s super easy to clean. Simply wipe it down with a moist cloth. And the compartments will house anything you can think of to take along on a long or short trip out of the house.
- Super-easy cleaning
- Great styling
- Side access to the main compartment is a huge win
- Unfortunately, this one’s for women only
- There’re no straps for your stroller
- It doesn’t have a changing pad
#4 Ecosusi Fully-Opened Diaper Backpack
So, you have a baby on the arm, a phone in the other hand, and you need to suddenly excavate the bag for a need-right-now item! Know the feeling? Of course, you do.
The Ecosusi diaper backpack will give you immediate access to whatever you need with its ability to zip fully open. And if you have two little ones, the bag as a dual bottle compartment – one for each hungry mouth!
There’s a phone-and-wallet pocket on the back of this diaper backpack, and it’s fully hidden out of the way of prying eyes.
- The design is really lovely.
- The ability of the main compartment to yawn open so you can get to the stuff you need is great!
- The hidden pocket for your valuables is excellent too
- It’s only for the girls
- It has a limited number of pockets
#5 Ruvalino Waterproof Diaper Backpack
If you’re diapering with cloth diapers, this one’s especially for you!
The compartments in this diaper backpack are individually sealed so you can manage dirty cloth diapers without causing problems for anything else in the backpack. The sealed compartments also avoid the smells from oozing out.
There is plenty of space for clean diapers, and the backpack has a changing pad too.
- This backpack has eighteen pockets in total
- It is really well-styled and made of ultra-durable materials
- There are dual insulated pockets for your bottles
- The design is gender-neutral
- Although the main compartment is humungous, it has limited options for organization
- It’s a heavy bag – it tips the scales at around two pounds
#6 Bamomby Multi-Function Waterproof Diaper Backpack
This diaper backpack epitomizes style and class. The colors are basic and understated, and this makes it completely gender-neutral.
There’s even a laptop compartment!
All the compartments are individually waterproofed on the inside, and the bag is waterproof on the outside. It has a total of sixteen pockets.
- The bag is waterproof on the outside
- It really has a sexy design
- A total of sixteen pockets will leave you with enough space for EVERYTHING
- It weighs in at around ten pounds
- The colors are understated, but the options are limited
#7 JuJuBe Be Right Back Backpack
Life is generally messy. But with a little one in tow, it gets SUPER-messy. This diaper backpack was designed specifically to stay clean and well-organized. It simply wipes down with a wet cloth to clean.
The bag is made with durable, washable polyester. You can even pop it in the machine if you need to. So, whatever the little one splashes on the diaper backpack – from mud to milk – it will come out in a jiffy.
The bag includes a lifetime warranty, a changing pad made of memory foam, and the most comfortable shoulder straps you can imagine. If you have a no mess, no fuss lifestyle and you’re on the go all the time, this backpack will do you and your lifestyle justice.
- The fabric on this bag was designed and woven with hygiene and cleanliness in mind.
- The shoulder straps are ultra-comfortable
- It includes a changing pad made of memory foam
- The color and pattern options are great
- There are only two pockets in the main compartment
- It’s a little high in price
#8 KiddyCare Diaper Bag Backpack
If you’re breastfeeding and you use bottles when you’re running around, you’ll know the snags you can hit with storing formula and milk. This bag allows you to transport a whole bunch of bottles at the optimum temperature.
There are fifteen compartments and three pockets, insulated to make sure your bottles stay fresher for longer. A trip away from the house? Or maybe you’re pumping and storing. This backpack is the ideal solution for keeping everything fresh as a daisy.
The bag is really pretty. It has a lot of storage, and the straps make carrying really comfortable.
- The insulation on the bottle pockets will ensure everything stays fresh
- Ample storage
- It’s easy to click the bag onto a stroller
- Oddly, if you use non-standard bottles, you may have an issue with fit in this bag
#9 Skip Hop Diaper Bag Backpack
Look, walking is great. It’s good for your physical health, and it’s good for your mental health. Whether you walk because you like to or walk because you have to, this bag was designed to work in tandem with your stroller. It’s a breath of fresh air because so many bags end up working against the stroller, right?!
It simply clicks onto the stroller. You get both convenience and comfort with one click.
- It’s great that it clicks onto just about any stroller
- It has a top handle and more than enough storage
- The color choices are great
- The pouch in the front is a little small
#10 Obersee Bern Diaper Backpack & Cooler
This diaper backpack’s most outstanding feature is the cooler bag – and it’s completely detachable! Take it with you, or when you’re not going to need it, leave it behind.
It will keep your sunglasses safe with a special loop, and it will play your music with the headphone port. Just add a device!
It’s actually so well designed; it can easily serve as a regular backpack too. So, don’t get it only for the diaper stage – take a longer view!
The construction smacks of quality all the way.
- The cooler is detachable
- It’s for both guys and girls
- It will hold your laptop
- The backpack also has a changing pad
- It is heavy – around two pounds
- You have to purchase the stroller straps separately
What Should Ideally Go into Your Diaper Backpack?
Diaper changes, we all know. But why not just toss an extra diaper in your handbag or in the glove compartment of the car if you’re going out?
Well, one diaper is probably fine. But you know you always need more than one, So, you get a larger handbag. And before you know it, the size of your purse is the size of a diaper bag!
If you’re a new mom, these are the things moms typically carry in their diaper backpacks:
- Extra clothes
- A comfy blanket
- Toys for the little one
- Pacifiers, if you use them
- Creams for the rash
- If it’s that kind of time, teething gel and teething toys
- Some emergency first aid things
- A hat for you and the baby
- Some hand sanitizer
- Some water
- A cover if you’re breastfeeding
- At least two bottles
- A changing pad, if your bag doesn’t have one already
- A bag to dispose of diapers
- A bag for wet or dirty clothes
- Burping gear
- And all your personals – keys, your phone, your makeup, and your wallet.
Just have a look at that list, and you’ll instantly understand why it is so incredibly important to stay organized. These diaper backpacks were designed to help you do exactly that – stay organized and fend off the constantly advancing chaos!
And, they’re also designed to make your life infinitely more fun. Less time scratching around to find something important means more time to spend with the little one and yourself.
As a fashion statement, many of these bags do a great job too. They show off the fact that you’re a mom but that the addition of the baby by no means implies the subtraction of style!
Here Are A Few Things to Take into Consideration When You’re Buying
Look for adjustable, comfortable straps
Make sure you get a diaper backpack with a stroller clip. If you live in the city, this is a must.
A changing pad makes your life SO much easier every time
As many pockets as you can get
A firm, stable base so your diaper backpack can stand without you having to lean it against something
A selection of colors – there’s no reason to be bland and dreary, now, is there!
Make sure you get a size that will carry all your stuff and one that will be easy for you to carry.
Also, make sure the zippers and other means of closing the bag are sturdy and well made.
Why Not Just Use A Regular Old Backpack?
Look, this may be tempting, and it will probably work for a while, But the flaws of using a regular backpack as a diaper backpack will show themselves to you very soon.
The first and most obvious drawback of a regular backpack is the lack of waterproof compartments. And then also the absence of insulated pockets for the baby’s bottles.
You really want the insulated compartments to keep soiled clothes and dirty diapers. And the insulated compartments are essential if you need to take baby food or milk along when you’re out and about.
A regular backpack is just not going to do all of this for you. It will leave you frustrated and underequipped all the time.
It is both healthy and practical to be organized where your diaper backpack’s contents are concerned. If you’re not, you’ll be off-balance when you carry, and your body will pay the price.
More importantly, if you have dirty diapers in among all the other stuff in your backpack, hygiene goes for a walk. And you don’t want that at all.
When you’re in the market for a diaper backpack, you are quite literally spoilt for choice. They come in every imaginable design, and reputable companies are adding features and add-ons that will make your eyes water.
It’s quite possible to get a great bag that’s practical to boot and won’t cramp your style. The secret is to shop around and take the information in an article like this to heart.
We’ve shown you ten of the top products available to you today. These products were designed by people who have both you and your baby in mind. And it shows in their final products.
Some of these bags do certain things REALLY well, while others don’t. The secret is to find a bag that will fulfill your overall needs and make sure you get what you pay for all the way.